How do you decide when to open your forum's doors?

Started by Juneberry, Jun 27, 2019, 06:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Juneberry

I'm aware I have this thread on another site, but I wanted to broaden my scope to get a good idea of things from various perspectives. But, as the title asks... How do you know you're fully ready? What things have to be done first? I'm working on making a forum right now, but I have so many questions it's making my head spin! I figured this might be a good way to answer them well.

TheRavenfreak

When I make a new forum, I always create at least one topic in each sub forum. This shows guests that there's some conversations they can dive straight into. From there I create any usergroups I wish to add, and make sure the permissions are set correctly for each group. If you're using phpBB, the permissions are a bit more complicated than other software so I usually double check if I'm using that software. Because by default, the permissions don't get set when you make a brand new category/forum. From there I then look for at least one new theme to install, and add icons and a banner to my forum to have it stand out from other forums. Then I go ahead and open it up and promote it on different sites. :)

Juneberry

I'm doing my best with making a topic in each forum- I was told elsewhere to make 5, but I think a few in each general area should suffice. I did install some themes, but I don't know how to add a logo. I have a theme I want to use, but without that knowledge, it's hard to use it. Does that vary from one software to another?

Junker

I honestly first try to get the coding and graphics work ready; then, much like Raven here, I try to have topics ready for the newcomers to throw themselves to.
~~Remember when we used to write thought-provoking things in here?~~

Kyng

Good luck with your forum, Juneberry :) !

When I opened my current one, I'd been working on it for about six weeks beforehand - so, I actually already had several themes and about 800 posts on it :P . I probably could have moved sooner, but I didn't want it to feel like a construction site when the move was made. Still, I think it's best to have at least some topics, covering a mix of different areas of the board. Five would be ideal - but, at the very least, there shouldn't be any empty sections.

Also, get a theme and a logo. They can be temporary placeholders until your 'real'/custom one is ready; however, they definitely should NOT be the system default theme!

TheRavenfreak

Quote from: Juneberry on Jun 28, 2019, 02:18 pmI'm doing my best with making a topic in each forum- I was told elsewhere to make 5, but I think a few in each general area should suffice. I did install some themes, but I don't know how to add a logo. I have a theme I want to use, but without that knowledge, it's hard to use it. Does that vary from one software to another?
Usually themes only work with one particular software in mind, though some people have managed to make a theme for one software and convert later on to work with another one. Usually in order to add a logo, you'll need to upload your new logo in the folder that contains your current theme's images.

Smokey

I usually feel it's good to open after youv'e got a decent amount of threads to post/reply to and you got the theme and overall forum layout sorted. :)

The less 'dust that needs to clear' when you let people know about your forum, the better. :)