What hosting are you using?

Started by TheRavenfreak, Apr 25, 2019, 08:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TheRavenfreak

So I got three major projects I'm working on right now. I'm using Dreamhost for this one, vBulletin's cloud hosting for another, and simply Forumotion for the third one. Yeah it seems strange for me to use two paid hosting services, and then one free forum host. :P I've never used Dreamhost until now, and I feel their services fit the niche of this forum well and they're affordable. vBulletin has the cheapest cloud hosting when it comes to paid forum software, plus the structure of the forum is nice. So that's why I went with them for my other project.

Ashley

How do you like Forumotion? Last time I tried them they had really bad security. I remember one old forum of mine we were discussing this host, and my then technical administration guy demonstrated just how bad it was by letting me log into his account. It was appalling to say the least. He told me what his username was and didn't say nothing about a password, so I just tried any old password, actually I used the same password I use when signing up to any other forum. To my dismay, I WAS IN MY TECH ADMINS ACCOUNT!!! I could seriously do whatever I wanted in there just as if his account were mine.

Sorry to go off topic, to answer your question I'm on Proboards.

jasony

Most of my stuff is on In Motion Hosting - due to the green aspect of it, and also because it's XenForo friendly.

TheRavenfreak

Quote from: Ashley on May 03, 2019, 08:02 pmHow do you like Forumotion? Last time I tried them they had really bad security. I remember one old forum of mine we were discussing this host, and my then technical administration guy demonstrated just how bad it was by letting me log into his account. It was appalling to say the least. He told me what his username was and didn't say nothing about a password, so I just tried any old password, actually I used the same password I use when signing up to any other forum. To my dismay, I WAS IN MY TECH ADMINS ACCOUNT!!! I could seriously do whatever I wanted in there just as if his account were mine.

Sorry to go off topic, to answer your question I'm on Proboards.
Forumotion is alright, definitely not my favorite free forum host. The software is kind of outdated and broken for sure! xD For a beginner's forum, it's fine though. Proboards is good! Back when I first discovered it I didn't care for it, looked too outdated. (This was back in late '08.)

Ashley

I like Proboards. Still on the learning curve but I'm getting the hang of it for the most part I think

jasony

The good thing about free forum software is it won't go off the air.  In other words, it's not like paid - where if you miss a bill or cannot pay no more - then no site.

TheRavenfreak

Yeah that's definitely true! Some hosts used to delete inactive forums, but I think all free hosts don't delete inactive boards now. I do know that some free web hosting sites like x10 will delete your account for being inactive, but that's self hosting.

jasony

I'm not sure if certain hosting companies are "better than" others - but for sure, to get more out of your hosting - an upgrade to a VPS or server is needed.

Well, I did have a bad experience with one unnamed company (a major one), but it wasn't really their fault.  They were massively DDOS-ed for one month.  It was so bad - it's amazing they recovered (as far as getting customers back).

TheRavenfreak

Oh man that's rough! Good thing they were able to bounce back from the attack. Sucks for the customers and employees affected by that. :\

Ash

At the moment, I have three sites. My personal portfolio site and webmaster blog is hosted with USHost247. My other project is actually a family members site that I'm working on and that is hosted with InterServer

Ashley

I signed up for envesko hosting services over the weekend. Awesome

TheRavenfreak

Oh I should probably mention this forum is now hosted on Knownhost. I had a issue with Dreamhost and support never answered my ticket. It's recommended by the hosting subreddit, and I got a discount when I first signed up too! :D

queenzelda

I'm using proboards atmo. I was hosting off of yourhostingfree for a while with mybb, until they sold out. >_>

Ashley

Quote from: TheRavenfreak on May 07, 2019, 04:42 pmOh I should probably mention this forum is now hosted on Knownhost. I had a issue with Dreamhost and support never answered my ticket. It's recommended by the hosting subreddit, and I got a discount when I first signed up too! :D

Awesome on the discount!

Quote from: Ash on May 05, 2019, 01:36 pmAt the moment, I have three sites. My personal portfolio site and webmaster blog is hosted with USHost247. My other project is actually a family members site that I'm working on and that is hosted with InterServer

What's InterServer like? Is it a paid or free hosting

TheRavenfreak

InterServer looks to be paid hosting. :) I've never heard of them until now honestly.